We are Auditioning!
- Four disabled and non-disabled performers for the creation and performance of a new contemporary dance / dance theatre work for public spaces in August 2019.
- Two emerging disabled dance artists to shadow and gain experience (expenses will be reimbursed).
The new work will be inspired by our local disabled communities lived experiences, ideas, voices, stories, messages and themes, which will be gathered during a light hearted, artistic and creative consultation period.
The choreographic process will take place in community spaces where disabled people / groups meet, and public spaces allowing both our disabled community and the general public to watch this process, feedback ideas, and become dance critics! This methodology will spark additional and much needed dialogue between artists and non-artists, disabled people and non-disabled people – in an inclusive manner and with all contributors on equal terms. It is hoped that by being so visible, we will inspire the next cohort of emerging disabled dancers as a result, and get people talking and sharing.
Consultation, creation and rehearsal will take place in less formal dance spaces, for a period of 15 days, spread out over 3 months. The new work will then be premiered as part of Appetites Big Feast on either 23rd & 24th August. It will involve performing indoors and outdoors.
We encourage applications from all disabled artists at any point in their career.
Required for application are:
- 2 years of professional, or comparable, dance experience and/or an extraordinary natural performance style
- Good improvisation skills
- Motivated and hard working
- Strong communications skills
- Skilled and engaging performers
- A commitment to be part of a team and fully participate
- You must be over 18 years old, have a valid national insurance number, and be legally allowed to work in the UK.
Desirable skills & attributes:
- Ability to sign and interpret BSL and Makaton
- Experience of performing in non-conventional theatre settings
To apply: Applications via email are preferred. If this is not possible please get in touch.
Please send the following to Rachael Lines, Artistic Co-Director, at email@example.com:
- Completed Application (click here to download)
- An Equal Opps monitoring form (click here to download )
- An up-to-date CV
- A web link, if available, with footage of you performing. The most useful footage is something short, of about 5 minutes, recorded in a dance studio especially for this audition. It should give us an idea of your technique, performance ability, and improvisational style. Footage from previous performances is also welcome in digital format. All footage should be sent via an online platform link, such as YouTube or Vimeo, but please indicate the moment you would like us to watch, MAKE SURE IT’S EASY TO IDENTIFY YOU.
- A covering letter; we want to know why you are applying to work with us. Please use a maximum of 2 sides of A4, or a video or audio recording of up to 5 minutes (preferably in MP3 / MP4 format please) describing:
- What is your experience in Dance or Performance?
- Why do you dance?
- Your ability to co-create with professionals and the community?
- Why you wish to work for FRONTLINEdance?
- What you feel you would offer us?
- What do you find artistically inspiring, both when creating and when seeing dance pieces or other art works?
Application Deadline: Tuesday 7th May at 9am
Audition: 17th & 18th May 2019, in Stoke-on-Trent. Venue to be confirmed.
Contract Dates (tbc): 17th – 21st June 2019 (R&D), 15th– 19th July 2019 (Creation), 14th– 16th August Creation/ Rehearsal), 21st & 22nd August (rehearsal), 23rd & 24th August (Performance)
Applicants successful in being offered an Audition will be informed by Friday 10th May 2019
For the successful candidates, the planned start date of contract is June. Dancers will initially be on a 3 week contract of Equity/ITC rates at £483 per week as stated above, plus a relocation allowance of @£102.50 per week. An additional fee for performing the work plus travel & accommodation will be made.
For any further questions about the role please email Rachael Lines, Artistic Director on firstname.lastname@example.org or call her on 07919 026962
further information about the company please go to www.frontlinedance.co.uk
FRONTLINEdance is an Equal Opportunities Employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Appointment will be made on merit. FRONTLINEdance is always interested to hear from disabled artists with an interest in working with the company.